Saturday, June 19, 2010

Change of Heart - A Novel by Jodi Picoult

Hey!

So because the movie My Sister's Keeper came out, I really wanted to read the book before seeing the movie... unfortunately due to my laziness I never got around to doing either.

But, the other day I was at the bookstore, and a book by Jodie Picoult (The author of My Sister's Keeper) was on sale. I figured "why not" to see if I would like the way she writes.

The book I read was Change of Heart, and it turns out that I love the way she writes. I was really shocked at the story line. Judging from the book title and cover, I figured it would just be another love story. I was really wrong. It has so many topics packed into one book, and somehow it all fits together.

Religion has been included in the book; peoples' beliefs have been challenged just by meeting new people.

What shocked me most was that the main topic in the book was the death penalty, and that the book took place in 2008.

In a nutshell, one of the characters in the book's husband and daughter were murdered. The murderer was sent to prison and was going to be give the death penalty in 11 years. The mother had her late husband's daughter shortly after her daughter and the guy that murdered the two people was sentenced to death. 11 years later, the daughter, Claire, needs a heart, and Shay (the murderer) wants to give his to her when he dies. All the prison guards think he's going crazy because of that and call in a Priest to be his "spiritual advisor." After some miracles Shay performed, people are starting to believe he's God. After a while even the Priest is convinced.

A lot of other things happen, but I just wanted to show you how many different topics there are in the book, and I really recommend it to anyone who is looking for something to read.

And now I have to get more of her books for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment