Saturday, March 5, 2011

Croppings - First Art Assignment

Original Cropping
This is the original cropping that I cut out. We all cropped these from giant group pictures everyone contributed to.

I know they weren't supposed to be a set shape, but I chose mine because it looked like a sun, but then when I cropped it, it actually looked more like a flower. I chose it because I liked the L - Shape composition in it.
















Large Painting
As much as I desperately long for precision and control, I thoroghly enjoyed the big painting. It forced me to be quick and not worry about the small details. I really like the thick brush strokes in this, especially the green line. At first it was really thin, as I didn't want it too thick, but I really think it works, as the yellow, orange and red also have thick lines, but still thicker than green so they're different. I also like how in some places you can see the thick texture of the paint, although it doesn't show as well on the picture.












Small Painting

I'm really proud of how I did the brush strokes in this, especially in the yellow. Although there was less value I the yellow, when the painting is viewed in person and up close, I think the brush strokes make up for it. I had a similar problem with the green line on the smaller painting as I did with the big painting. I did the same thing and made the line bigger. The main issue was that my thin brush just wouldn't hold enough paint to drag it down the canvas all the way, as it wouldn't hold enough paint.

In some ways I liked the big painting better, but in some ways I liked the small more. I liked the small one because I had more control, but in the big one I also liked that I had to really make my brushstrokes purposeful and quick. It's hard to choose a favourite, but I do know I like the paintings better than the pastel, which is not posted on the blog.

This assignment was a great way to start off the new semester, and I really enjoyed it, especially the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment