Sunday, April 3, 2011

Peter Callasen

Time for my weekly blog!  I haven't written about an artist yet, and I just found one now...

Peter Callasen is an artist who focuses on using white paper in many different, interesting and creative ways. He makes miniature sculptures using just white paper and glue!

I thought I would post some of my favourite works by him. He creates powerful images using only paper, but in such a skillful way. Most of his pieces are made from only acid free paper and glue! It's unbelievable how he creates sculptures with such intricate detail using those materials.

"Looking Back"
2006


It's interesting how he uses the cut out space in his paper to enhance his work. In this it is a shadow; I see it as someone who has passed looking back at his life, perhaps regretfully. I get the feeling he did not live as much as he wanted to.












"Erected Ruin"
2007
This next piece kind of reminds me of the first. It feels like an attempt at restoring an old monument. However, the shadow shows that it is not what it once was.

Anyways, have a good week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment