Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chair Design - Book Chair

For our most recent art assignment, we were asked to design chairs that exuded our personality. For myself, whenever I sit down I want something comfortable that I could curl up in to read a book or watch t.v.... or just sleep.
Model
I designed my chair to resemble a book. Of course, this is only the model and not the actual chair. We used foam core to make the chairs, and I used paper as well as the upholstery.

I feel like this exudes my personality because it is a book. The word hold many meanings to me, not just that it means reading. I feel like books symbolize knowledge, wisdom, understanding, creativity and free thought. I hope to have at least some of these qualities.

I want it to be very comfortable, because I like comfort and simplicity. I was also debating to have to surface have words on it, but I thought against it because this way it felt like blank pages of a journal. I was surprised at myself for not having done something more technical or geometrical, but I am happier with this than I would have been with a scientific chair.

Orthographic Drawing
The chairs are supposed to be works of art. I feel like my chair is a piece of art. The difference between the curvy and straight lines create contrast. The varied levels of my chair make light and shadow. I feel like the texture on the chair is visible by the paper acting as what I want to be the microfiber. The colours I would want for the chair are just plain white for the seating part, and a customizable solid colour for the back. The colours would be bright or black to create contrast with the white.

Isometric Drawing
I would also add lines on the side of the chair to add the impression of pages in a book. This would make more organic lines to contrast with the straight ones.

My chair is just over a quarter of a meter high off the ground. If I were to sit on it, by feet would just dangle off of the ground. There is a storage area dedicated to books, but I suppose other items would fit as well. The seating area is very soft and comfortable; you would sink in if you were to sit in it.




No comments:

Post a Comment