Sunday, February 21, 2010

Avatar

Hey guys!

So I was finally dragged to the movies yesterday to watch Avatar. I was a little sceptic at first, because really, another movie about aliens? But it has been at the top of the box office for some time now, so it was obviously something people enjoyed.

You can read the summary here.

And what I'm about to write contains spoilers, so only read what comes next if you've already watched it or if you don't really care.

It really got me thinking when I came out though. One of the main themes was that humans will do anything for money. They drove over the Na'vi's sacred trees just so they can get access to the valuable material there.

Humans destroyed the Na'vi's homes and even killed some of them. People are driven by greed. I love that so many people acknowledge that and raise awareness of it.

Filmmakers sneakily put in the message that humans are destroying the Earth, and in Avatar, they showed that humans were going to destroy Pandora, (the Na'vi's planet) too. It made me think that there are people that care about our planet, and they are smart enough to make people think about it in a movie.

Seeing that, and remembering other movies I have seen that convey similar messages, I want to communicate messages like that through my art.

I think I'm going to try and work like that now. New projects I start, I think are going to have to do with that; I really want to make a difference.

Anyways, that's all for this week, I'll post again in a few days.

Roshni

No comments:

Post a Comment